Monday, October 26, 2009

Bill and I attended the Mission Presidents Seminar in Johannesburg, October 17-20. Elder and Sister Neil Anderson, Elder and Sister Donald Hallstrom, and Bishop and Sister McMullen were the visiting authorities from Salt Lake. They taught us with power and the spirit of the Lord. We had a wonderful time: our sights were lifted, our spirits strengthened and encouraged. The area presidency (Elder Koelliker, Elder Watson and Elder Renlund) also taught, instructed, and lifted. On Saturday, the Mission Presidents joined with the 3rd Quorum of Seventy (area seventys in West and Southeast Africa) and the priesthood leadership in the Johannesburg area. Bill met the branch president that Josh is serving with in Botswana, also 2 of the Fathers of missionaries coming to our mission tomorrow.

This is the Westcliff Hotel and convention center where we stayed and held the seminar. This picture was taken from the Area Presidents Housing across the valley. Notice the beautiful Jackaranda Trees (the purple ones). They were just starting into bloom and this pictures does not do it justice. The restaurant was in the top building, so Bill and I strengthened our leg muscles and lungs also.

The grounds of the Westcliff and the Area Presidents Housing were gorgeous: Roses in abundance in all colors, neatly manicured lawns, shrubs and hedges trimmed, orderliness that lent an atmosphere of peace. You can tell I was really taken with the beauty. You can see the Jackaranda behind these roses. If I could, I would plant many of these trees in Osgood, but I don't think they would survive the winter and wind.
Elder Bob Cowen, Area Physical Facilities missionary; Elder Hesbon Usi, Area Seventy from Kenya; President Cannon of the South Africa MTC; Bill; President Christensen, Uganda Kampala Mission; Elder Kola, Area Seventy from Democratic Republic of Congo.
A delicious barbeque was held Monday night at the Area Presidents Housing. The Area Presidents Housing is adjoining to the Johannesburg Temple grounds and also the area offices.

Bill and Elder Usi. Elder Usi was the Stake President here until last March. He was sustained as an Area Seventy in the April conference. He and his wife joined the church after they were married. They have 5 children: 3 living in the US going to school, 1 in Canada for school and 1 here in Kenya. They are wonderful people.


Tuesday afternoon we were able to attend the Johannesburg Temple. They held a special session just for the Mission Presidents and their wives and the Area Presidency and their wives. It really was wonderful to be in the temple again to feel the peace and love that surrounds you there.
We flew back to Nairobi on Wednesday, back to work. It was a most enjoyable pause in our life.



5 comments:

Julie said...

Mom, you forgot to put pictures of you up!!

suzanne said...

Those flowers are beautiful! I'm so glad that you guys had such a good time in S'Africa!

Natalie Daines said...

Sounds like the Conference was yet again a battery charger! I'm so glad you got to go!
A jackaranda might survive an Osgood winter...in a greenhouse! :)

Arlene said...

Loved reading about your wonderful meetings in such beautiful surroundings. The photos were great. Love you.

Loveta said...

Bill and Jennie,
Just wanted to shasre, I am teaching a Sunday School lesson on temples for my 14 year olds today and needed a way to reinforce the importance of being worthy for a recommend all the time. In the night I remembered your post about going to sign temple recommends in the branches. I made a poster of your THANKS, Loveta