Thursday, June 26, 2008




The first time I saw the Baobab Trees I was intrigued with their size and shape. I called them the Halloween Trees because they looked like scary creatures. They are also called the upside down tree because it looks like someone pulled them out of the ground and stuck them back in upside down with the roots sticking in the air. The wood is very porous, so not good for building, but the people farm around them in stead of cutting them down. In the middle of a Maize field you can see several trees. These grow in abundance in the Chyulu area. Imagine my surprise when we went to Chyulu in December and the trees had all leafed out. I love looking at these trees.

3 comments:

Arlene said...

They really are amazing to look at--such a big, thick trunk with not a whole lot on top.

suzanne said...

These are way cool trees. They definitely look different with leaves!

Brenda Taua said...

These trees really do bring out the spooky Halloween look. I always try to draw something that creative, and you have them around you all the time.:)