Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Lake Nakuru







At Lake Nakuru we went on an early mornintg game drive. We saw giraffe, cape buffaloes, rhino, gazelles, eland, flamingos, baboons, but the most exciting was seeing a leopard. Bill spotted him just sitting in the grass, so we stopped and watched him walk around, look around, mark his territory and then jump up into a tree. When the leopards kill their food, they drag it up into a tree so that it can eat it in peace. It’s quite rare to see a leopard, but we watched it for about 15-20 minutes, until a safari truck came up and the leopard walked into the underbrush. It was amazing! We got some pictures, but I was so awed by just watching him and looking at the beautiful way he walked and stretched and his gorgeous fur, they I didn’t take as many pictures as I wish I had now.



Because there is a lake, there are many birds: storks, pelicans, seagulls, etc. But this lake is known for its flamingos. There were millions of birds. From far away you could see the pink color of the flamingo in the lake.

2 comments:

Arlene said...

Genie--thanks for posting something beautiful on your BLOG. I was getting tired of checking only to see those crocs. I love hearing about your adventures and the amazing things you are able to see in Kenya.
I've started a BLOG: snakerivercannons.blogspot.com

Camille said...

Mom,
We loved the new pictures! I bet seeing all those flamingos was amazing....and probably stinky! The leopard stretching is still one of the coolest pics ever. I have to be careful saying leopard....so Sadie doesn't hear me! It's a jaguar to her! I love you!