Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Just a few of the scenes from our car as we travel the roads of Kenya and Tanzania. I don't get a very good picture through the car window. However, I want to record the scenes that pass our view.
We see women all through Kenya and Tanzania carrying loads on their heads. I am amazed at how gracefully they walk with things on their heads. I couldn't even carry books on my head without them falling, or me cortorting to keep them on. They do have some type of a skarf that they wear that is rolled to make a flatter surface. In this picture the wind is blowing quite briskly, but that didn't stop them.
A member in Dar Es Salaam, John Mwingera, replied when asked why they carry things on their heads: "You have cars to carry your things, we have heads."
I've seen women carrying a baby tied to their back a load on her head and carrying something in her hands.

Several women carrying loads on their backs and on their heads. Walking along with the cows, or goats on the road

3 comments:

Arlene said...

That hardly seems like an adequate answer to why they carry things on their head. However, it puts into perspective that we probably have too many THINGS to carry, so that's why we need cars! Some great photos "along the way."

Camille said...

What does that say about me? I need a suburban to carry all my stuff! :)

suzanne said...

You got some good shots, Mom! I love it when I click onto your blog and there are new things! I love you!