There is a watering hole at the Kiluguni Lodge at Tsavo National Park. We sit on the verandah and watch the animals while we sip sodas or eat our meals.
The countryside was very dry this time--there is a drought in Kenya and particuarly in this part of the country--so the animals were coming in great herds to get water.
These are cape buffaloes: when they drink they just put their heads down and inhale for a long, long time.

A herd of elephants came in after dark and I was excited to get a picture of them drinking. There are several floodlights illuminating the watering holes so you can watch the animals after dark. It's almost like a huge floorshow--first one herd of animals enter from one side or the other, they drink, they move off while another group of animals enter and start drinking. When the elephants are drinking nobody else comes near until they are finished. Can you see the baby elephant on the right side-- and a teenager in the middle.

In the morning it's so peaceful and beautiful. As the sun come up and starts to illuminate the countryside it's lovelyl. The animal parade contines from the night before--I don't know if it goes all night because I go to sleep--but in the morning it continues on. It's fascinating watching giraffes drink--they are so cautious and usually there is one of them on guard while the other drinks. Their legs bend backward.
1 comment:
Mom, I love the night shot of the elephants! That looks so surreal!
Post a Comment